About the podcast: “The Long Haul with George and Paul” is an ExxonMobil podcast series co-hosted by George Arrants, ASE Education Foundation Vice President, and Paul Cigala, ExxonMobil CVL Applications Engineer and a Chair of the Technology Maintenance Council S.3 Engine Study Group. The series will explore how the technician shortage is impacting today’s fleets with insights from leading industry experts. It will also include on-the-ground insights from fleet maintenance managers discussing how the shortage has impacted their shops, how they’re managing and what they're doing to improve the situation.
According to the American Trucking Association, the trucking industry will need nearly 200,000 technicians over the next 10 years just to keep up with current maintenance demands. This episode takes a deeper look at the severity of the fleet technician shortage, how the industry got there, and how fleets can overcome the challenge.
- “It’s not a shortage of applicants for these jobs, it’s a shortage of qualified applicants because the existing training programs aren’t preparing students properly.”
- We discuss the growing need for technician talent.
- What threat does this shortage pose long-term?
- Robert Braswell, Executive Director of the American Trucking Association’s Technology Maintenance Council
- George Arrants, ASE Education Foundation Vice President
- Paul Cigala, ExxonMobil CVL Applications Engineer and a Chair of the Technology Maintenance Council S.3 Engine Study Group